So you want to have a desktop IRC client:
We recommend mIRC (www.mirc.com), which is a shareware IRC client with a free 30-day trial. After the trial period is up, you can continue using the client without registering, there’s just an annoying splash page.
Setting up mIRC:
- Open the program. You’ll be prompted with an mIRC Options menu.
- Under ‘Connect,’ select ‘Servers.’ A long list of servers will be displayed.
- Click ‘Add.’ The ‘Add Server’ menu will pop up. There are two relevant boxes here. Description and IRC Server. Enter the following:
- Description: Mibbit
- IRC Server: irc.mibbit.com
- Mibbit, the server #tonano is hosted on, is now your default server.
- Return to ‘Connect’ and enter your desired nickname under ‘Nickname.’
- Click the ‘Connect’ button in the menu. mIRC will connect you to the Mibbit server and an ‘mIRC Favorites’ channel menu box will pop up.
- In ‘Enter a channel name and click join:’ enter #tonano
- Click ‘Add’ to save the channel, and then ‘Join.’
- Welcome to #tonano!